Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Radiant Barrier, PrePaid Meter, Water Heater Timer, and Tree OH MY!

First off, I'm keeping the awesome tree that provides such good shade from the afternoon heat. But some changes were in order... Last week I installed the radiant barrier I ordered from EcoFoil , and unfortunately (really bummed about it actually) I didn't have my energy savings hat on when I installed it, and missed the opportunity to measure temperature of the ceiling before and after, plus didn't get any photos. Really bummed about it, but I can tell that the house is a lot cooler, and that despite not taking measurements and pictures, I did spent a few days making sure I had the information and equipment needed to install properly. It was the first time ever installing the stuff, and the extra care seems to have paid off. Rounding out the energy-saving party is a new pre-paid meter from MEC and electric water heater timer from Ace Hardware. Each and every one (including the tree as it continues to grow!) of these features are going to reduce my monthly energy bill from above $100 to below, and oh reduce my carbon footprint too :)

No comments: