Sunday, January 18, 2009

Food Security in the Islands

Today I talked with Franko Mateariki who has spent his entire career farming in the atolls of the Marshall Islands, most significantly in the dryer northern atoll of former US nuclear testing site Enewetak. For the past decade at least, this guy has been coming up with trade secrets left and right on how to grow food in arid, salty climates. Amazing stuff. He's going to be issuing a paper soon, and asked me to review it. And the best part is, he works two doors down from where I'm currently holed up in the "Energy Division" of the Ministry of Resources and Development.

Surely, some interesting R&D being conducted on food security, energy, and other matters relevant to climate change in the Marshall Islands. Its going to be a busy and fun 2009!

2 comments:

Rasenshuriken Naruto said...

Kia Orana, My name is Teariki Mateariki and Franco Mateariki is my Grandpa, I'm sorry to have used this site to try and get hold of him, but If you could please give me his contact as I really would like to get hold of him as I have not seen him yet face to face. Can you please help me.. my email address is: tmateariki@telecom.co.ck Thank you

Rasenshuriken Naruto said...

Hello to the owner of this website.... I've just heard news of my grandpa, and he has passed away. I would like to thank you for trying to help me to get hold of him... we the family will be trying to get his body flown back to the Cook Islands... Thank you once again..